Passionate Advocates Guiding You Through Difficult Times

Dependable Guidance Through A Wrongful Death Claim

Last updated on June 26, 2024

When negligence leads to the death of a loved one, it’s not unusual to feel overwhelmed. Between the heartbreak of unexpectedly losing someone you love and the concern of paying medical bills, you may feel like every day brings new, unsurmountable challenges.

We are here to help.

With years of experience, we have helped countless families move forward after tragedy struck. We can help you determine what to do today, tomorrow and in the future. If you are worried about lost future income, caring for your children, paying bills or putting food on the table, you’re not alone. We will work tirelessly to hold the negligent party accountable and give you the tools you need to move past overwhelm and uncertainty.

Who Can File A Wrongful Death Claim?

Local laws are generally specific about who can file a wrongful death claim. In most cases, the surviving spouse is the only person who can file a claim. However, if the decedent has no surviving spouse, their children may file a wrongful death claim instead. In addition, in Tennessee, a personal representative of the decedent may file a wrongful death claim instead of a spouse. In those cases, the personal representative is most often the executor of the decedent’s estate.

The Discovery Rule And Statute Of Limitations

Filing a wrongful death claim can be complicated, and it’s important to adhere to local and state regulations. For example, in Tennessee, the statute of limitations is generally one year from the date the deceased passed away. However, if there is a reason the decedent could have known the cause of their injuries prior to their death, the “discovery rule” in Tennessee may change this timeline.

Contact Forrester & Goodge To Get Justice

If your loved one died as a result of their injuries from an accident, don’t wait to call an attorney. Send us an email or call us at 865-213-1185 to receive knowledgeable and trustworthy guidance on your situation.